Full course description
This course is designed as an introductory module for level 2 training in foodborne pathogens. It will provide an overview of Listeria genus, habitats and reservoirs, growth requirements, current US policy, listeriosis, food associated with listeriosis, and prevention strategies.
- Provide a basic overview of Listeria monocytogenes as a saprophyte and pathogen.
- Identify foods associated with listeriosis.
- Understand current prevention and mitigation strategies used in manufacturing and retail food systems.
- You will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental characteristics of L. monocytogenes.
- You will be able to restate and discuss habitats, reservoirs, and environments that support the growth of L. monocytogenes.
- You will be able to list and explain the why consumption of select foods are more likely to result in listeriosis than others as well as describe gastroenteritis and listeriosis caused by L. monocytogenes.
- You will be able to discuss and explain the Listeria monocytogenes contamination preventions and control strategies.
- You completion of this unit, students will be able to define current regulatory policies applicable to L. monocytogenes.
This course is free and is 0.13 CEU.